Since the beginning of my exporting career I have long dreamt of having my own small "bodega", where I could make a few bottles of wine of the best quality possible. Briones, in the heart of the Rioja Alta, gathered all the conditions I was looking for: old steep vineyards of Tempranillo grapes, chalky soil and a climate showing a marked Atlantic influence. Declared a town of historic and artistic merit, Briones is where we decided to site our bodega.
Now, as one of the smallest wineries in Spain, our wines are among the most prestigious in the country, and we are exporting them to over twenty markets. With the recent incorporation of my son Miguel and his wife Erika we are encouraged to grow, not in quantity, but in improving our style. We want to continue to enjoy our wine-making.
All our vineyards are located in slopes of our town, Briones. They were planted between 1929 and 2001, in diverse types of soil and different sun exposures. All of them are harvested by hand and their grapes transported in small crates so that they arrive to the winery in the best conditions. Once there, all the bunches are checked again in the sorting table. The selected grapes are sent to the vats through a peristaltic system, where fermentation will take place at controlled temperature.
MIGUEL MERINO RESERVA
Balance and harmony are the key of a good Reserva wine. Nothing must be missing, but nothing should outstand: fruit, intensity, structure, longitude and personality must play in unison as a good orchestra. And that is what we look for with this wine made from vineyards planted in the 60’s.
MIGUEL MERINO RESERVA 2014
· Vines of Tempranillo and Graciano (4%) planted in the 1960s in Briones.
· Two years in 19 new barrels made with American oak staves and French oak heads.
· 5,523 bottles.
MIGUEL MERINO GRAN RESERVA
Only in the great vintages we select the best bunches from our oldest vines to make our Gran Reserva, a wine of great elegance, subtle but intense and persistent.
MIGUEL MERINO GRAN RESERVA 2014
· Vines of Tempranillo and Graciano (4%) planted in the 1950s and 1960s in Briones.
· Over two years in 19 new barrels made with French oak.
· 4,4821 bottles and 378 magnum.
Vitola Reserva comes from vines planted in slopes facing Northwest in the seventies. Their altitude and sun exposure let us make this subtle, deep and balanced reserva wine.
VITOLA RESERVA 2015
· Vines of Tempranillo and Graciano (3%) planted in the 1970s in Briones.
· Two years in 30 barrels made with American oak staves and French oak heads.
· 8.921 bottles.
MIGUEL MERINO VIÑAS JÓVENES
Old vines do not live forever. In order to have access to such special vines in the future as we do today, we needed to start working on younger vineyards as well. With their grapes we make our Miguel Merino Viñas Jóvenes.
MIGUEL MERINO VIÑAS JÓVENES 2018
· Vines of Tempranillo, Graciano and Garnacha planted in the 1990s and 2000s in Briones.
· 12 months in second-use barrels, previously used for our reservas.
· 16,010 bottles.
LA QUINTA CRUZ MAZUELO
One of the very few wines in Rioja made only with Mazuelo grapes, and the only single-vineyard one. The hard conditions of our Quinta Cruz Vineyard (steep slope, poor pebblely soil) give us some very singular grapes to make this special wine that changes enormously from one vintage to another.
LA QUINTA CRUZ MAZUELO 2018
· 100% Mazuelo, from La Quinta Cruz vineyard, planted in 1986 in Briones.
· Fourteen months in two 500-litre and six 225-litre barrels, all of French oak.
· 3,200 bottles.
LA LOMA MIGUEL MERINO
La Loma is a vineyard of 1’4 hectares planted in 1946 with Tempranillo and Garnacha. Since 2015 we ferment their grapes alone, making a unique wine.
Miguel Merino BLANCO
Miguel Merino Blanco comes from two very special vineyards: Mingortiz (0’2 hectares planted with Viura in 1977) and La Loma (planted with Garnacha Blanca in 1946).
THE MEMBERS OF OUR FAMILY WILL SHOW YOU OUR WINERY
- As we are a small family winery, it is absolutely essential to make an appointment to visit, so that we are ready to receive you.
- We try to make visits individually and not in groups. If you are a big group (over 12 people) please contact us and we will see how can we adapt to you.
– Please, email us to email@example.com
- Or phone. (34) 689384566
Carretera de Logroño, 16. 26330 Briones. La Rioja.